My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://rachelsayshello.com
and update your bookmarks.

Welcome to rachelsays... The blog of Rachel Lewis, containing my thoughts and musings on illustration, design, fashion, music, cakey-bakey goodness, culture and things that I generally find cool. There's also a good chance my own illustration work will pop up on here.

All work on this blog is copyright to me unless I state that it isn't. Obviously. Don't do stealing, kids.

So come on in, have a look around, and leave a comment if you like what you see.

www.rachelsayshello.com
contact [at] rachelsayshello.com

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Combining Fonts: 4 ways of getting it right...

In my new job as a graphic design assistant, I'm having to play with type a lot more than I usually would on a daily basis. This is a good thing, for the most part (isn't leading fun?) except I hate trawling through fonts trying to get things to work and match up. There are brand guidelines/default fonts to use most of the time but I'm always trying to mash it up a bit. I've just come across this really great 'Four Ways to Mix Fonts', found via Swissmiss. It's a really simple and clear way to explain how best to use 3 or 4, or even 5 fonts in the same design. I was always told 'less is more' and be simple with things, but I'm definitely from the maximalist school of thought and love when you've got typefaces all over the place - but my challenge has always been getting it to look right. Eclectic but not cluttered. Well this little guide has simplified things quite well and it's definitely worth considering next time I do something with a zillion typefaces:




Wit, Energy, Poise, Dignity. Read the full page because it's really interesting and makes some good, obvious-now-you-say-it points. Things like giving each typeface it's own role (header, body text etc) and enforcing that separation. And mixing fonts that are all from the same era, or have the same proportions.

Also, aren't those examples lovely in themselves? Especially No. 2. Really crisp and pleasing.


Mmm, letters.

No comments: