My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://rachelsayshello.com
and update your bookmarks.

Welcome to rachelsays... The blog of Rachel Lewis, containing my thoughts and musings on illustration, design, fashion, music, cakey-bakey goodness, culture and things that I generally find cool. There's also a good chance my own illustration work will pop up on here.

All work on this blog is copyright to me unless I state that it isn't. Obviously. Don't do stealing, kids.

So come on in, have a look around, and leave a comment if you like what you see.

www.rachelsayshello.com
contact [at] rachelsayshello.com

Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Green Eggs and Spam

I've been getting a ton of spam comments to my blog for a while now:

As you can see, it's mainly in Chinese. Which is annoying. Well, spam is just annoying in general. And, strangely, it never used to be like this. I never used to get any spam comments. (I never used to get any comments at all...) but all of a sudden, a few certain posts are getting attacked by this randomness. Sigh. Good job I approve all my comments first though =/

However, some comments are not so unintelligible. Sometimes I get an actual sentence, either string together by somebody in a foreign country using an internet translator so it comes across as near nonsense, or by some crazy spam bot, I don't know. But I love them! Really strange, prophetic almost, phrases that seem to mean nothing and yet kind of fascinate me. I'm not entirely sure why, they're just crap really, but it gets a chuckle out of me.

And then I had a little inspiration moment and thought, I could make some great illustrations from these. So this is my new project.

I've got about 5 comments sitting there that could be vaguely useful, so I'm starting there. After I've done an illustration for each one, I'll just wait until I get another good bit of spam, and so on. So there'll be no schedule to this project; if and when I get a good nonsensical sentence, I'll do a new image. Should be interesting, if nothing else :)

I'm working on the first one right now. Still need a good title for the project though, can't just call it 'Spam Project'. Hmmm. I'll get back to you on that.

I'm definitely not the first person to do something like this, other awesome spam related projects out there are:



I'll probably come across a few more on my travels. Nice stuff :)

No comments: